9.18.2014

Local Lunch for $5: Sport Burger





Today I want to share with you my favorite local burger place in East Wichita.  Its my first post in a series called Local Lunch for $5.  Welcome to Sport Burger located  at 134 N Hillside.  It is located directly on Hillside between Douglas and Central.

134 N Hillside, Wichita Kansas

Its a tiny little drive-thru burger joint that you might miss if you fly by on Hillside.   Believe me, you don't want to miss it.  Why would anyone want to miss the home of the cheeseburger?  
If the cheeseburger lives here then I am here.  Yes you might find a cheeseburger somewhere else in Wichita...but you are not going to find THIS $1.39 cheeseburger.  I don't go to Sports Burger because its cheap.  I go because its good.  My tastebuds and my wallet thank me for eating here.

 In fact, I love it so much it is one of the only restaurants saved in my phone.  I summon Siri and she knows my request when I say those wonderful words "Sport Burger".  

Here is how you can experience Sport Burger.  You pull in line and order your food.
Here are your options.


Don't be discouraged by the line.  It will not go as fast as other drive thru orders but your wait will not be long. (Unless you are in the car behind me when I am trying to blog.)    The reason is the owner is cooking your food fresh.  Your lunch is not waiting for you in a warmer...it is made fresh to order.  Your meat is literally thrown on the grill when you order it.  Sometimes your fries are so fresh you have to wait a few minutes to put them in your mouth!
If you don't have a car.  That is okay...there is a walk up menu to.  Just walk up to the window!
When you get to the window you will be greeted by your short order chef...Ronnie.  Ronnie is the owner.  It's not everyday you get the owner cooking your lunch.  If its not him, its one of his family members.  There is not a nicer guy than Ronnie in Wichita.  

Somehow the nicest guy in Wichita married the most joyful gal in town.  Her name is Connie.

The love what they do and they make a seriously good burger.  After you get your food, its time to find a place to eat.  There are a few picnic benches available behind the building to sit at during a pretty day.  I left,  and sat down with some friends. Here is my lunch today:
Four bags of bugers and fries and two drinks.  I ate all of it.  Just kidding.  Here was my lunch.

I had the Grand Slam Burger and Fries.  I chose to go double meat which puts you in the $2.00 category instead of the $1.39.  Well worth it.  Sport Burger burgers (single or double) are classic short order burgers with cheese with cheese and onions.  You are getting a grilled "diner style" burger with tons of flavor.  The fries are thicker cut and crispy.  No soggy fries here.  Ronnie does not allow it.  For all you guys out there I suggest an order of two singles and some fries.  Add a soda or sweet tea and you have a great lunch for around $5.

Ladies a single for $1.39, fries, and a soda will set you back less than $5
If you like onion rings you are in luck. In my opinion great onion rings hold their form but are not to hard.  Crispy battered onion rings are found her at sports burger.  They are not skimpy on size either.

 Sport Burger is my favorite pick for Local Lunch for $5.  You do need to go if you have not tried it.

Happy Burger Eating!
Sport Burger on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

Mae Tyler said...

I say the pictures of the burgers and fries are convincing enough, Jake! I really like how the cheese melts on top of the patty, down to the soft buns. And the fries and onion rings really look crunchy. They look like they're really worth going out of the way to give it a try! Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Mae Tyler @ St. Andrew Poultry

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity