10.30.2014

Lunch at Taste and See Global Cuisine

This week I headed over to Taste and See Global Cuisine for lunch.  This place is so good that I am compelled to go back and do a dinner post.  So this is my Taste and See lunch experience.

Owner and Chef Jason Febres is seriously talented.  Seriously.  He is creative, innovative, and puts everything into his entrees.  While I was there he was working on changing up the menu a little.  If you see Jason and think to yourself..."Where have I seen this guy?"  Let me help you. He has appeared on Food Network's Cutthroat Kitchen, Food Network's Guy's Grocery Games, and Spike TVs Bar Rescue.  Taste and see is open for lunch and dinner.  Dinner is the most creative of all the menus but we will leave that to part 2.  Lets start with the details:

Taste and See Global Cuisine
255 N. Washington
Open
Monday - Wednesday: 10am-2pm
Thursday and Friday: 10am-2pm, 5pm-10pm
Saturday: 5pm-10pm
Sunday: 10am-9pm
Executive Chef Jason Febres
General Manager Steven Bacci

The dining experience is great.  They kitchen is out in the open and the interior is unique and creative.






Lets get down to business...my lunch.  I started off with the Polenta Tots  This is a Euro American appetizer dish of golden cornmeal cubes, Asiago Cheese, pisto (yes "pisto" not "pesto") sauce and arugula.    These are really good.  The bad news is they are a summer menu item.  The good news is that they will come back but for now will be replaced with something Jason describes as even better.

Jason ordered up to plantain chips for me too.  Wow.  They are shaved very thinly and the menu describes "tanned with oil".  I don't know what the means but I do know they were light  and crisp.  The dipping sauce is a lime aoli sauce.
Just so you can see how light and crisp these are, you can see the light shining through the plantains!


What is great about the menu at Taste and See is it includes all types  entrees inspired by all different  genres of ethnic food... hence the name Taste ad See Global Cuisine.   I chose the S.S.B. which is a smoked salmon sandwich with Asian fusion.  To be specific... It's Norwegian smoked Salmon with a little lime taste.  It has avocados, wasabi creme cheese, a fried egg and melted Gouda cheese.  Super creative and super awesome.


I got the  mixed vegetable sides.  They were delicious but I am sad I didn't get their fries.  Man I love their fries.  I am more of a fry guy than a veggie guy...had to go healthy though.


My friend ordered the Pepito.  check this goodness out.

The Pepito has marinated flank steak, sauteed mushrooms, pico de gallo cilantro aoili, mozzarella and parmesan cheese with shoe string fries inside.  yes, all that awesomeness is in a hogie.  It was actually out waiters favorite and now I see why.  If you are in the mood for a salad try the Skinny Pink.
This is a steelhead filet of salmon glazed with ginger on top of plantain hashbrowns with carrots and cucumbers all on top of a bed of spinach mixed with manderine sesame vinagerette.  
The presentation shows you how much they care about the artistry and creativity of their food.  You will be impressed with the presentation but you will be wowed by the taste.

Finally we ended with dessert.  I honestly don't remember what this is called but it is  two slices of fried banana  rolled in brown sugar, cinnamon and spices.  Then, Jason deep fries the roll in a cinnamon and sugar mix.  It is served with pineapple syrup in a side of cheesecake sauce.  The plate was garnished with Nutella.  Wow.  You have to try these.  

I have given you enough reason to run over to Taste and See as fast as you can and try it out.  This place is truly unique and it is this type of place that helps put local Wichita on the map.





1 comment:

Joan Kirkpatrick said...

Great Review, I think I owe a friend lunch :)

 
Blog Design by Sweet Simplicity